Saturday 8 September 2012

J.R.R. Tolkien
“What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
 
Douglas Adams
“The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double-backwards-somersault through a hoop whilst whistling the 'Star Spangled Banner', but in fact the message was this: So long and thanks for all the fish.”
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 
Jay Kristoff
“FEATHERS GROW BACK.... SISTERS DO NOT.”
Jay Kristoff, Stormdancer 
“In a world, filled with distinctive races and unusual beings; we strive towards, our vision of a perfect world. Hardship, perseverance; This is what we know, pushing the very boundaries of our human existence, striving towards a better world. We Are Mankind, true champions of God, heroes of the underworld and Descendants of the stars.”
Enrique Vega
    
Anne Brontë
“I have often wished in vain,' said she, 'for another's judgment to appeal to when I could scarcely trust the direction of my own eye and head, they having been so long occupied with the contemplation of a single object as to become almost incapable of forming a proper idea respecting it.'

'That,' replied I, 'is only one of many evils to which a solitary life exposes us.”
Anne Brontë, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
    
Anne Brontë
“No one can be happy in eternal solitude.”
Anne Brontë, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
    
Anne Brontë
“If you would really study my pleasure, mother, you must consider your own comfort and convenience a little more than you do.”
Anne Brontë, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
    
José Saramago
“There is nothing as sad, nothing as unutterably sad, as an old man crying.”
José Saramago, The Cave
 
Anne Brontë
“I may be permitted, like the doctors, to cure a greater evil by a less, for I shall not fall seriously in love with the young widow, I think, nor she with me - that's certain - but if I find a little pleasure in her society I may surely be allowed to seek it; and if the star of her divinity be bright enough to dim the lustre of Eliza's, so much the better, but I scarcely can think it”
Anne Brontë, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
    
Stephen King
“Big Jim - "Take a good look, pal - this is what incompetency, false hope, and too much informations gets you. They're just unhappy and disappointed now, but when they get over that, they'll be mad. We're gonna need more police.”
Stephen King, Under the Dome
 
Anne Brontë
“When a lady condescends to apologise, there is no keeping one’s anger.”
Anne Brontë, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
    
“Thoughts of Sir Nathaniel and the valor he unceasingly displayed were strangely close to Kenneth’s heart at that moment. Something about his bravery under suffering and his selfless, heartfelt desire to impress virtue upon his squire had touched him, and, even as he strode along, Kenneth crossed himself.
“Oh, God, make me such a knight,” he murmured. “He be a far better man than I shall ever be capable of becoming, yet, make me a knight of honor!”
Alicia A. Willis The Comrades of Honor Series 2
    
Anne Brontë
“I’ll promise to think twice before I take any important step you seriously disapprove of.”
Anne Brontë
    
Anne Brontë
“I have heard that, with some persons, temperance – that is, moderation – is almost impossible; and if abstinence be an evil (which some have doubted), no one will deny that excess is a greater. Some parents have entirely prohibited their children from tasting intoxicating liquors; but a parent’s authority cannot last for ever; children are naturally prone to hanker after forbidden things; and a child, in such a case, would be likely to have a strong curiosity to taste, and try the effect of what has been so lauded and enjoyed by others, so strictly forbidden to himself – which curiosity would generally be gratified on the first convenient opportunity; and the restraint once broken, serious consequences might ensue.”
Anne Brontë
    
Henry David Thoreau
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to five a true account of it in my next excursion. For most men, it appears to me, are in a srange uncertainty about it, whether it is of the devil or of God, and have somewhat hastily concluded that it is the bhief end of man here to ‘glorify God and enjoy him forever”
Henry David Thoreau, Walden, or Life in the Woods
 
“I wish it could just be simple. Like a retro-pop song, ‘I want you to want me’. Boom. End of story. We all live happily ever after.”
Kalliopi Tsekoura
    
Sally Ricketts
“I may be small but my heart is as tall as any mountain.”
Sally Ricketts
 
Anne Brontë
“When a lady does consent to listen to an argument against her own opinions, she is always predetermined to withstand it - to listen only with her bodily ears, keeping the mental organs resolutely closed against the strongest reasoning.”
Anne Brontë
    
“Be patient. Good things come to those who wait.”
Chinese Proverb
 
Ray Bradbury
“Life is trying things to see if they work.”
Ray Bradbury
 
Rebecca Stead
“Boredom is what happens to people who have no control over their minds.”
Rebecca Stead, Liar & Spy
 
Unknown
“One day can change everything.”
Unknown
 
Anne Brontë
“If you would have a boy to despise his mother, let her keep him at home, and spend her life in petting him up, and slaving to indulge his follies and caprices.”
Anne Brontë, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment