Thursday, 1 November 2012

quotes about our priceless books!


 

 

Marcus Tullius Cicero

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
―
Marcus Tullius Cicero

    

Frank Zappa

“So many books, so little time.”
―
Frank Zappa


 

Groucho Marx

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
―
Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Jane Austen

“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”
―
Jane Austen

 

Mark Twain

“Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.”
―
Mark Twain

G.K. Chesterton

“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
―
G.K. Chesterton

Jorge Luis Borges

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”
―
Jorge Luis Borges

 

Groucho Marx

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
―
Groucho Marx

 

Lemony Snicket

“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
―
Lemony Snicket, Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid

Oscar Wilde

“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”
―
Oscar Wilde

 

Oscar Wilde

“If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.”
―
Oscar Wilde

 

Madeleine L'Engle

“You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”
―
Madeleine L'Engle

Mark Twain

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
―
Mark Twain

C.S. Lewis

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
―
C.S. Lewis

Mark Twain

“Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read.”
―
Mark Twain

 

Haruki Murakami

“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.”
―
Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood

 

Ernest Hemingway

“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
―
Ernest Hemingway

 

Jane Austen

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”
―
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

J.D. Salinger

“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”
―
J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

 

Charles William Eliot

“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
―
Charles William Eliot

Oscar Wilde

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”
―
Oscar Wilde

Mark Twain

“In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.”
―
Mark Twain

Gustave Flaubert

“Do not read, as children do, to amuse yourself, or like the ambitious, for the purpose of instruction. No, read in order to live.”
―
Gustave Flaubert

C.S. Lewis

“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”
―
C.S. Lewis

 

Henry Ward Beecher

“Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?”
―
Henry Ward Beecher

 

Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.”
―
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

 

Toni Morrison

“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
―
Toni Morrison

 

Thomas Jefferson

“I cannot live without books.”
―
Thomas Jefferson

 

Bertrand Russell

“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.”
―
Bertrand Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment